Subcontinental Breakfast

Sam's travel blog, picking up in the Middle East where last summer's exploits in India left off.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Go ahead. Repress human sexuality. You see what happens.

One of the things Westerners notice first upon arriving in India is that there seems to be a whole lot of gay men walking around. Eventually, usually pretty quickly, someone tells them that actually affection between males (in the form of hand holding and lounging over one another like puppy dogs) is a common sign of nonsexual friendship.

I have to admit that I figured this out on my own pretty fast. I saw men being physically affectionate, and thought, "Are those guys gay?" But that thought was quickly followed by, "I'm pretty sure India is a conservative country when it comes to sexuality; that's probably platonic behavior." Other Westerners have a harder time with it. Even white people who are accepting of homosexuality just can't believe that such touching isn't really an expression of repressed sexual desire.

"Some of them have to be gay," my friend Eliza said in Mcleod Gunj. Statistically, she's right; but they're certainly no more gay than a bunch of guys in a football team locker room (and probably way less so.) It's really just the way it is.

This isn't to say that there aren't sexually repressed or sexually deviant people in India. But from what I've seen, people find ways to excercise their identities in completely different ways than in the West.

A prime example is the Hijra, or transgendered, community. Hijras have a recorded history of 4,000 years, and in some parts of India were valued for their 'third-gender" status. Today, though, Hijras are among the worst-off in India, in part because so many come from the bottom of the socio-economic ladder. Hijras suffer violence in public and private spaces, are commonly completely rejected by their families, and experience police brutality. Often, the only form of employment open to Hijras is as sex workers, and even there they are placed at the bottom of the hierarchy, stripped of the ability to negotiate with their employers for higher wages, or with clients for the use of contraceptives. Human rights groups have started taking notice of the problems facing Hijras, but they seriously need to get on the ball.

I actually don't know too much about transgender issues in India, in terms of the role of Hijras in Indian antiquity; but what I have encountered is the common response to Hijras. First of all; people don't talk about it. I didn't spend all that much time travelling in my first few months in India, and when I did, Vikramshila was paying for me to ride in the AC compartments. The whole time, these folks simply weren't mentioned, despite the fact that they form a immovable part of Indian society.

But having spent a fair amount of time in second class trains in the last couple of weeks (which is making me a little loopy, so be forewarned) I've run into a number of Hijras. A rumor I heard: one of the ways Hijras make money is by showing up at places (public transportation and weddings are favorites) and demanding money. People tend to pay up, since Hijras are considered bad luck. The first time I ran into one of these people, I was totally clueless. A woman in a saree comes walking up on the train and begins yelling and clapping at me. For a moment, I thought she was collecting tickets, but that seemed not to be the case. After she left in a huff, one of the over-friendly guys oogling over Catie said "She is a man." Catie and I were very surprised, and spent the next few minutes trying to figure out if our informant was truthful. It seems that he was.

It fascinates me that a group of people can be so public and yet be so invisible in the public eye.

A similar phenomenon involves homosexulaity. I asked Amrita, one of the friendly liberal Vikramshila ladies, about the status of homosexuality in India. She said that India is a fairly repressive society. Although male homosexual sex is illegal, while lesbian sex is not, a woman taking a woman as her lover is considered the more serious offence in mainstream society. Furthermore, men have a way around the societal restriction. It's fairly common, Amrita told me, for a man to ask his wife to sleep with the children so that he might share his bed with a visiting male friend. This is usually platonic; but, she believes (and I've heard this corroborated by other Indians) that this provides the occasion for guys to do it on the dl. Again: a common practice, hidden in plain sight.

****

A couple of final anecdotes about sexuality in India (of which, really, I have no experience). As a Westerner, people assume that I am a person with extremely liberal notions about sex and what have you. In my case this is completely correct, although not in the ways they might think.

Example number 1; sitting on the train today, just after a Hijra walked by demanding money, I had the following conversation with the guy next to me:

Him: Your country?
Me: America.
Him (longish pause): You have many gays in America, yes?
Me (amused, perplexed): Yeah. I mean, some. The correct amount, I'd say.
Him: And you are gay?
Me (abandoning any hope of a rational conversation): No.
Him: But you approve of gay activity?
Me (wonderng if 'gay activity' means what I think it means, but deciding to play stupid): I have gay friends, and they are great, but mostly I don't care one way or another.

Something about me being a white guy made him think it was ok to strike up an extremely personal conversation about sexuality, which I'm fairly sure he wouldn't have done with a Indian person. The only reason I wasn't offended is because I decided not to take him seriously.

But being white is apparently more than an inducement to Indian men to talk about sex. Consider:

I was standing in the lobby of the Hotel Samarat in Mushirabad back in late June when a short, bald, well-groomed Indian man approached me to ask for my name and room number. The whole thing happened so fast that I didn't have the time nor energy to decide to lie.
Consequently, at around 10:30 PM, this man shows up at my door. I was wathcing a movie ("Confessions of a Dangerous Mind," if you must know) and swithced of the TV to invite him in. Upon sitting in the chair adjacent the door, he implored me to make my self comfortable, and forcably grabbed my wrist and pulled me over to sit across from him on the bed. This was awkward.

More awkward was the fact that he spoke very little English. He told me about his job (something involving exports and the Indian government) and that about exhausted his knowledge of English. He rattled off the names of half a dozen Indian languages, of which I have no knowledge, and regretfully informed him of such. I sat quietly, trying to figure out what was going on. He invited me down to the hotel bar for a drink; I said no thank you.

At this point, I imagine retrospectively, this fellow was struck with the fear that I didn't understand why he was there.

"Just 20, 30 minutes, talking, OK? No problem?" he asked. "Happy jolly?"
I said, "No problem," though I had no idea what he was talking about.
"20, 30 minutes happy jolly, OK?" he asked. I begin to feel distinctly weirded out.

It's one thing to talk for a while with a person who wants to know about America, or to tell you what he knows about America. It's altogether different to sit in a room with a man who only occasionally asks, with desperate seriousness, "No problem? Happy jolly? 20, 30 minutes?"

Eventually, I concluded that this interaction, if it could be called such, was benefiting neither party: and, after garnering sufficient confidence, I stood up, arms folded, and said, slowly, such that he might understand, "Well, I'm going to go to bed. I think you should leave. Thank you for coming."

I can only imagine his thought process, but this seems close: he thought, "crap, I think this American kid doesn't quite understand what I'm selling."

"No problem?" he aksed.
"No, no problem, but I'm going to bed."

He then took the back of his hand and casually ran it up my crotch. I stepped back a bit.

"I'm going to bed, I think you should leave." "Was that an accident?" I wondered. "Did he think that was an accident?" he wondered. Once again, he pressed the back of his hand against my penis. This time, however, sure that I understood his nonverbal proposal, and sure that I was rejecting it, he made a beeline for the door, claiming, "I come back tomorrow," a statement which proved untrue.

After a few confused seconds, I began laughing. The poor guy: to be so repressed that you pounce on the first white guy you see on the off chance that he's gay. What a small life!

When I told Shubhas, she apologized profusely for putting me in that situtation. I told her it wasn't her fault; she said that, had I told her while we were at the hotel, she could have sent Atanu to rough the fellow up a little. I said I wanted none of that, but she remained shocked.

Being a Westerner, I've been privy to some elements of hidden Indian sexuality that I might not have been had I been an Indian. I don't really know enough about how sex works here to offer any generalizations, no matter how tentative, but I have received confirmation of my mother's thesis that human sexuality is both completely unpredictable and totally unstoppale. Only the fiercest fascist can strip a person of his or her sex drive; and transgendered people, considered aberrations in every civilization, are actually fairly universal across cultures. I suppose it's fascinating to see how differently a culture can deal with and interpret the same, seemingly simple sexual side of humanity.

7 Comments:

At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam,

Before I say anything else, I'm terribly sorry about what happened to you in the hotel room. How awful -- and disturbing.

Moving on to the rest of your post... Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you suggesting that Indian homoeroticism and hijra-ism (if there is such a word) is the result of sexual repression? If so, I think that's a pretty biased and heteronormative way of looking at sexuality.

Indian people just have a different way of expressing and practicing sexuality. Just because it's different from what you're used to in the West, does not mean that all of Indian sexuality is repressive.

If anything, I think some aspects of sexuality are more repressed in the west than they are in India. The fact that you even see hijras in the street, and that a hijra was even elected mayor in her city in India, shows that the hijras actually have more visibility and recognition in India than they do in the west. This is not to say that I think they're treated wonderfully over there, but can you honestly say that two hijras would be able to walk safely in DC without getting assaulted? Or a hijra being elected to public office?

Sorry for going off on such a long rant...but i do cringe every time i hear "sexual repression" and "india" in the same sentence. There's a freaking billion of us --that should be enough evidence to you that sex is alive and well in south asia. :)

Lavanya

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

Sam -
WOW! You are really having quite the educative experience there!

 
At 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, kid. The mom genes have taken over. You told him your room number AND opened the door?
WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?

Ok. Just had to get that out of my system.

Sam, your blog is a thoughtful, enjoyable, and provocative. Like your grandfather, you introduce us to broader issues of economics, politics, sexuality, etc. as you experience India and help your readers think about the similarities and differences in our shared existence. Thanks.

Aunt Judy

 
At 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sam,

I think I was thrown off by the title of your post, juxtaposed by your first paragraph, which describes same gender affection on the street. It sounded like you were saying repressing human sexuality leads to homoeroticism.

Anyway, when you say, "By saying that India is 'repressive' I mean that people are persecuted for their gender and seuxal identities, or are forced to conceal that part of themselves out of fear or shame," wouldn't you say the same is also true in the US, and also to a higher degree? And by following this logic, isn't sexuality in the US also repressive?

 
At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sam,

Any discussion of the Karma Sutra? We certainly don't have any text like that in our history.

Also, holy shit. I'm impressed that you didn't feel violated by that situation in the hotel. Shows a certain maturity that I don't think most people in our culture could claim. I've noticed that you are very skilled at staying focused on the reality at hand, and taking more stock in your own observations than the sorts of conclusions others might jump to about a situation (i.e., even tho I don't feel violated, I should, so I'll act like I do).

Anyway, interesting as always! I'll miss reading this blog when it's over!

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger Sam McCormally said...

Lavanya,

What I meant to say was only that some westerners interpret male affection as a sign of repressed homoeroticism. I think people who think that are silly.

I completely agree with you that people who don't fall in the mainstream of gender or sexual identities are oppressed in the US.

But--are you saying that it's easier to be openly gay in most parts of India than most parts of the US? That would flatly contradict my experience of both countries. As for transgendered issues, I'm just not buying your claim that the extremely isolated and miniscule (although important and hopeful) political success of the Hijra community represents meaningful liberation, nor that their presence in public life is a sign of tolernace. The community is too deprived and too underpriviledged.

I don't want to play "my country is more civilized than your country," and didn't intend to. Neither nation is as tolerant as I'd like. I totally understand the propensity to watch out for Westerners getting all high and mighty--but after all, this blog is about my time in Kolkata and India.

Hoping for continued discussion,

Sam

 
At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey sam,

great blog. as a gay south asian, i can see where both you and lavanya (great name) are coming from.

but perhaps what lavanya is getting at (and i'm assuming she's also south asian) is a sort of discomfort with the "buffet style" postings on a blog such as this one...as in, today i will talk about sexuality in india. yesterday i spoke about religion in india. next week perhaps i will hit on the status of indian women. i know this is kind of the whole POINT of your blog, and i must say i do read it b/c it is interesting, and you are a good story teller. plus i appreciate your honesty and ability to put it all out there, knowing that real life is messy and cannot be neatly explained away by theories and political ideas...basically, you're not holding back (at least i hope you're not) so that you don't offend others' sentiments, or so that you can come across as a pristine perfect liberal. some liberals will not say anything at the risk of sounding "f---d up."

but here's the thing...to me, you seem to be walking into "that's how it is in india" territory...and by that i mean that you make statements which implicitly or explicitly attach themselves to broad, general ideas of the indian nation-state. for example you say "After a few confused seconds, I began laughing. The poor guy: to be so repressed that you pounce on the first white guy you see on the off chance that he's gay. What a small life!" some of your readers will surely walk away from this statement (within the context of your blog as a whole) thinking, "sure is sad to be gay in india, i'm glad i'm an american." b/c you're in india and they are not and you experienced something and it must be true.

does this mean you can't say anything at all and that there are no cultural differences? absolutely not...what i'm trying to say is, you have a responsiblity as a writer to examine the impact of your statements. for example, i surely would hope that an indian woman blogging about her experiences in america who goes out to a club and gets groped by some drunk guy doesn't feel that this drunk man represents something that is inextricably wrong with america. it isn't always about the nation state, or about the culture. sometimes it is family. sometimes it is genetic. sometimes it is media. what i'm talking about is kind of along the lines of the privilege that white people have in america...the privilege to be an individual. as in, a white rapist doesn't necessarily reflect bad on katie couric and random desperate housewife in connecticut. but a black rapist's "blackness" is always an issue, etc.

YES there are immense problems in india. and in america. you say, "But--are you saying that it's easier to be openly gay in most parts of India than most parts of the US? That would flatly contradict my experience of both countries." the whole idea of "comparing" oppressions and ranking is kind of funny, no? yes, in west hollywood and chelsea i can be the gayest thang like it ain't no thang. but in parts of the midwest, for example? in the bible belt? in a country where monogamous gay people are seen as the prime enemy, culturally and politically?

homosexuality is illegal in india. and i can go off on some f---d up stuff that happens there, for sure. but just the whole idea of being "out" and proud and gay is a very western idea...just b/c there is no rollicking bombay pride doesn't mean there aren't several spaces for same-sex freedom in india. no, we do not have a west hollywood in bombay, but there are many, many house parties, for example, which are part of an extensive informal gay network in india.

please don't take my comments as attacks. but this is where i'm coming from...what you may see as the acts of a repressed individual in india may be seen in america as the acts of the office horndog, the frat guy who's had too many beers who can't help but grope his female coworkers...and yes, we can argue that he is in fact a repressed individual himself...but what is the difference? he has the priviliege of not being labeled as part of a cultural/national trend that reflects america...he's just a horndog, not a "repressed American." does that make any sense?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home